With a fifth of all teachers leaving the profession within the first two years, we believe that teachers deserve high quality support, particularly in those first years of teaching when the learning curve is steepest. At the Diverse Association for Professional Learning, we know that teachers in the first years of their career require high quality, structured support in order to begin the journey towards becoming an outstanding teacher. During induction, it is essential that early career teachers are able to develop the knowledge, practices and working habits that set them up for a fulfilling and successful career in teaching. Research shows that teachers that are given mentorship are more likely to stay on the profession.
The Early Career Framework (ECF) underpins an entitlement to a fully-funded, two-year package of structured training and support for early career teachers linked to the best available research evidence. The package of reforms will ensure new teachers have dedicated time set aside to focus on their development. Our vision is for the ECF to build on high-quality Initial Teacher Training (ITT) and become the cornerstone of a successful early career in teaching for NQTs and RQTs.
Diverse Academies ECF Programme
From September, we are delighted to announce that we have been selected as an early adopter of the Early Careers Framework pilot in partnership. We will be working with Educational Development Trust to deliver a high-quality package for both NQTS, RQTs and mentors. This is a real step change for early career teachers as the government has recognised and made considerable changes, investing in the structure and support given to both the Early Career Teachers (ECT) and their mentors.. The mentor will rightly be at the heart of developments, with some superb bespoke training and their own programme which will run alongside the ECT programme.
Professional development for early career teachers – at a glance
- Exceptional professional development designed to meet the needs of early career teachers, learning skills they can use straight away
- An evidence-led programme of training, designed around what really works, and how pupils learn, for effective improvement in teacher practice and student outcomes
- Engaging and accessible online learning, alongside face-to-face and virtual training delivered by school-based experts
- A focused development programme for mentors, with regional training run by expert facilitators, and peer coaching sessions with a ‘buddy’ mentor
- Delivered locally in partnership with one of our Delivery Partner schools, who will manage all aspects of the training, freeing up in-school staff to focus on other priorities
- Developed in partnership with schools and Sheffield Hallam University, one of England’s largest providers of initial teacher education
If you would like to know more about our ECT offering, please contact Delia Higgins, Associate Principal and Diverse Academies Early Career Framework Lead, at firstname.lastname@example.org